If your water heater is beyond repair or you simply want to upgrade your current system, you might be wondering which type of water heater to choose. Here’s a look at the advantages and drawbacks of a tankless water heater so you can decide whether this model is right for your Calgary home or business.
How it works
Many buildings are equipped with a hot water tank, which stores pre-heated water until it’s needed. A tankless heater, on the other hand, doesn’t store water at all. Instead, this device rapidly heats water using a heat exchanger just before it gets sent to an open faucet.
Benefits of a tankless water heater
Tankless water heaters offer several advantages over hot water tanks. Among other things:
- They don’t run out of hot water. Since a tankless water heater heats the water on demand, there’s no chance that you’ll run out at inopportune times.
- They have a longer lifespan. A tankless water heater generally lasts at least 20 years, whereas hot water tanks typically need to be replaced every 10 years.
- They’re more efficient. Tankless models use much less energy than other types of water heaters. In fact, depending on how much water you use, you could save up to 30 per cent on your utility bill.
- They take up less space. Tankless water heaters don’t require much room since they don’t include a bulky storage tank. This makes them ideal for smaller homes.
- They’re less likely to cause water damage. Since tankless water heaters don’t store water, they eliminate the risk of flooding or leaks caused by a damaged hot water tank.
Drawbacks of a tankless water heater
Before you make a decision about which type of water heater to purchase, consider the following:
- Tankless water heaters are more expensive. However, keep in mind that you won’t have to buy another one for 20 years. Plus, you’ll save money on your utility bills.
- You may need more than one. If you have a large family or your household uses a lot of hot water, a tankless water heater might not be able to keep up. However, installing more than one is an effective way to increase the amount of hot water available at any one time.